Apply at African Leadership Academy (ALA) Global Scholars Program (GSP) Now for a Meaningful African Summer Camp Experience
The Global Scholars Program (GSP) at African Leadership Academy is a three-week, intensive, African summer camp for a select group of secondary school students.
You’ve made it this far! We can’t wait to receive your application. Please read below carefully before we begin…!
Acceptance into the Global Scholars Program is competitive and there are limited spots available so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Once you are accepted, the enrollment fee ($500) is non-refundable.
We use an online application system called Active Network. If you have difficulty with it, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or paper application forms.
Individual applications are reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis, please note the following:
- We require that parents/guardians complete the application forms with their children, and assume that the primary parent/guardian is responsible for the account.
- You will receive an admission decision within approximately 10 days.
- If you are accepted, a deposit of $500 must be received within 7 days in order for your place to be reserved in the session.
- You will need to complete supplemental forms in your personal portal as soon as possible (medical insurance, flight and other details)
Experience Africa Together
Schools and youth organisations may bring participant groups to a GSP session for a shared experience, often connected to curriculum or other learning objectives. For every five participants from the same school or organization, an adult leader is awarded a spot in ALA’s highly regarded Educator Program – a 4-week professional development opportunity that runs in conjunction with GSP. In addition, a group discount is applied across all registrations.
Group applications, please note the following:
- Group applications assume that the school or organisation is responsible for the account for all students in the group, and that the group leader has been in contact with the Academy to select the best package option.
- The school representative / group leader / chaperone must first complete a group application form here.
- Once we confirm that we can accommodate your group, we will load your group into the Active Network application system, and issue any relevant coupon codes and then the group leader will be able to collect and upload the application information for each student in their group.
If you have trouble completing the online application, please call +27 11 699 3000 or email email@example.com
SESSION DATES & PRICES
Flagship 18-day Engage Africa Experience (15 – 19 yrs)
- Tution: African Residents – $3,800; Rest of World – $4,300
- Engage Africa Session 1: July 6 – July 23 2017
- Engage Africa Session 2: July 23 – August 9 2017
New 10-day Explore Africa Experience (Age 14-16)
- Tuition: $2,500 (all)
- Explore Africa Session 1: June 30 – July 9 2017
- Explore Africa Session 2: August 9 – August 18 2017
Program fee includes tuition, room and board, extracurricular activities and entry fees for all museums and trips. Local transportation is also included including pickup from OR Tambo International. Travel to Johannesburg, discretionary spending money, visa and travel insurance fees are not included.
DISCOUNTS & FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
- ALA offers a discounted tuition to African Residents in line with our mission to identify, develop and connect Africa’s future leaders.
- To incentive early payment, we will provide a free Hoodie on arrival to anyone who has fully paid by 31 January 2017.
- School and non-profit groups of 3 or more are eligible for a small group discount. Please contact us for information.
- Siblings within the same immediate family in the same year are also eligible for a small group discount. Please contact us for information.
- A small pool of financial assistance is for African students only, and is limited to $800 per student. There are no full scholarships available from the Academy for the Global Scholars Program. You can apply for assistance as part of the online application process.
Note: There are no full scholarships available from the Academy for the Global Scholars Program. If you are looking to apply to African Leadership Academy’s 2-year Diploma program, for which there is significant financial assistance, please click here.
PAYMENT PROCESS & OPTIONS
Once you have been accepted, you will receive detailed instructions on how to pay during your enrollment process. You can pay online, securely via Credit Card or via Bank Transfer. Importantly, you must pay the enrollment deposit of $500 to secure your place on the program within 7 days of being accepted.
If you are looking to apply to African Leadership Academy’s Two-Year Diploma program, for which there is significant financial assistance, please click here.